After this article I found partners on italki.com… But it was called “you can’t…” before.
I want to consider the main question I have to this site. Why can’t I find Language Partners on this site? If you have good or bad experience in it, please, write it in your comments, I appreciate it.
I think italki.com very good site and there are so many good people on it! If you write article or ask the questions, they will help you immediately. But it will change if you try to find Language Partner. Why?
So, that may be some reasons.
Reason 1. Blank profile
I started from setting up my account. I downloaded the photo, wrote some paragraphs about me. Everyone can write me a message or invite me to be a friend. No any restrictions in my profile. I shot introduction video and attached it in description. Thus, I think it’s not for that reason.
Reason 2. Weak activity
I prepared welcome letter with information about me and my intention. I sent it to about 200 users. In response I had only 4 messages. No one of it led to Skype conversation.
Reason 3. Inconvenient time
I am working hard and able to speak only from 18:30 UTC to 21:00 UTC. It’s noon time in Canada or USA. But I didn’t have any suggestions for a conversation at another time.
Reason 4. A few Russian learners and many English learners
But I sent my invitation only for people interesting in Russian. I think I have covered everyone who wants to learn Russian.
Reason 5. Unattractiveness in having a conversation with me
It’s possible, however, I don’t see a big difference between myself and other users profiles.
Reason 6. People aren’t ready to talk live
Maybe people are embarrassed to talk live. But the name of the site “I talk i”
So, what do you think about this situation? Am I doing something wrong? What is your opinion? Don’t hesitate to write it, maybe add some new reason or discuss mentioned one. And don’t forget to check my writing, it’s so helpful for my learning!
- appreciate – be grateful for (something)
- consider – think carefully about (something), typically before making a decision
- embarrassed – having or showing some difficulties
- in response – a verbal or written answer
- intention – an aim or plan
- led to – be a route or means of access to a particular place or in a particular direction
- paragraph – a distinct section of a piece of writing, usually dealing with a single theme and indicated by a new line, indentation, or numbering
- profile – an outline of something, especially a person’s face, as seen from one side
- restriction – a limiting condition or measure, especially a legal one